Monday, April 13, 2009

30 Rocks and Easter Thoughts

Yesterday I got to celebrate Easter and turn 30 on the same day! Pretty exciting, huh? I had a great day, and though I can say that for some reason I expected to feel "grown up" I still feel as immature as ever! (See the picture below where I used a tutu as a scrunchie and ran around helping the kids find eggs) What is strange to me is that I have memories of my parents in their 30's and I always remember thinking they were old (in a good way), responsible, and mature - like they had their act together. I was pretty sure they knew everything and always made the right choices. To now be in the same place I remember them is very surreal, hopefully my kids think I have it together like I thought of my parents.

Chloe really enjoyed Easter festivities this year. In fact, when it was all over, Monday morning she woke up and asked if it could be Easter again! Too cute. The celebrating began when we got together with our friends, the Carpenters, to dye Easter eggs and just hang out. Chloe and Christian are great little pals and now Noah and Isabel are starting to enjoy playing together too!

Saturday, Joe's police department held an Easter egg hunt for the officer's families followed by two on Sunday afternoon. Chloe kept wondering how she missed the Easter bunny! The kids ended the day with more candy than they would need for an entire year!
Not helping the candy situation, the "Easter bunny" also left some candy in baskets too. Silly bunny should have known family, friends, and Grandma's would have supplied them with more than enough. The two loved their new toys and books for church and play!
I love when my kids match! I think it is one of the cutest things ever! This year I found Chloe's dress first and I knew that Noah could wear the vest he wore for Christmas to match her but I really wanted to tie in the pink to match as well. A wonderful neighbor, Hilma, suggested I add food coloring to the detergent and wash a white shirt to turn it pink! This worked out so well, I will now forever be able to match Chloe's outfit's just by dying his shirts! Next time I will add a little more food coloring to make the color brighter, but I loved it. I just wish my kids loved cooperating for pictures as much as they loved their little outifts!
There are many times in my life when things I have always known hit me more profoundly then before. Sunday afternoon as I was looking for ways to help explain to Chloe the reasons we celebrate Easter, I came across this story in the Friend, (http://lds.org/churchmagazines/FR_2009_04_00___04264_000_000.pdf - sorry I don't know how to make this link look better) that made me cry. The story tells of a little girl who, in giving a talk in Primary, spoke of her little brother who passed away soon after birth. I was struck strongly with gratitude to my Savior for his willingness to live and give his life, atoning for our sins and sharing his perfect example, so that we could have the opportunity to be eternal families. We have fun on Easter with talk of bunnies and candy and spring, but I was grateful this Easter to once again reflect on the love my Heavenly Father and elder brother Jesus Christ have for me and each of us in creating a plan where I can have joy in knowing that I can be eternally happy with my family forever!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I love that picture of you- so cute! Hey, I stay you're only as old as you feel :)
I'm glad that you had a fun Easter/Birthday! You're kids are so darling- love that you made them match :) Something I would do haha